And now, Microsoft has its own laptop!
Microsoft has announced a brand new product line, the Surface Book which is supposed to complement the Surface Pro 4 tablet. Surface Book is the first laptop ever built by Microsoft. The company has already described it as “the ultimate laptop”. But Surface Book is a lot more than a laptop. The screen of the device is actually fully removable so that it can be used as a tablet. You can also choose to flip the screen all the way around and use it like a convertible, with the keyboard propping it up.
Made of metal, the Surface Book is slightly bigger than the Surface Pro 4, featuring a 13.5-inch PixelSense touchscreen display that packs 6 million pixels and 267 pixel-per-inch (ppi) ratio. The device comes with a backlit keyboard that features 1.6mm key travel, which means it’ll offer a “best-in-class key stroke” experience. That’s pretty cool, but what else will a consumer get for the $1499 starting price tag?
Lets look at the full device specifications of Microsoft‘s first laptop:
- Size: 9.14 x 12.3 x 0.51-0.90 inches (232.1 x 312.3 x 13.0-22.8 mm)
- Weight: 3.34 lbs. (1516 g)
- 13.5-inch PixelSense Display with 3000 x 2000 resolution and 267 ppi
- 6th Generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor
- Intel HD graphics 520/NVIDIA GeForce graphics
- 8/16 GB of RAM
- 128/256/512GB/1TB of SSD storage
- Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE support
- Full-size SD card reader
- Two USB 3.0 ports and Mini DisplayPort
- 8.0MP rear-facing auto-focus camera, with 1080p HD camera
- 5.0MP front-facing 1080p HD camera
- Windows Hello face-authentication
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- 36W power supply
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
- Windows 10 Pro operating system
- Surface Pen
All together, Surface Book is supposed to keep running for 12 hours on a single charge. “Ounce-for-ounce, pound-for-pound,” Microsoft claims, “this is the fastest 13-inch laptop ever made anywhere on any planet.” Microsoft says it’ll actually be twice as fast as the MacBook Pro.
Pricing for the Surface Book laptop starts at $1,499, with preorders beginning on October 7th and sales kicking off on October 26th.